At Vassallo & Salazar, P.C., our mission is to protect the rights of landowners. We never represent the government or other entities engaged in taking land from property owners. We have no conflict of interest. We are your advocates, and we have more than 100 years of combined experience getting positive outcomes for landowners like you.
As your advocates, we will make certain your rights are enforced. We will also take the time to educate you about your rights and how they specifically apply to your case.
As a property owner, you have 10 critical rights:
- You have the right to fair compensation for land that is taken for public use
- Land can only be taken for public projects
- Only an entity with the power of eminent domain may take your land
- You must be properly notified about the condemnation
- You must be provided with a written appraisal from a certified appraiser
- A bona fide purchase offer must be made before a condemnation petition is filed
- You may enlist your own appraiser to assess the value of the land
- You may enlist a lawyer to represent you
- You are entitled to a special commissioners' hearing
- You are entitled to trial by judge or jury if you are unhappy with the award
Just because the government is taking your land, do not assume it will respect your rights as a landowner. Every day, government entities engaged in condemnation proceedings make offers that fall far short of what property owners are entitled to. The offers may be the result of incomplete assessments, outdated information or appraiser errors.
An Advocate To Protect Your Rights
Our attorneys are not intimidated by the government and other entities with the power of eminent domain. We know how to identify offers made by condemning authorities, and we know how to obtain accurate appraisals. We are willing to pursue eminent domain cases through all stages of the condemnation process, including trials and appeals, to ensure you are paid the correct amount of money for your loss of land.
Initial case evaluations are free at our law firm. You will have the opportunity to ask us questions and find out how our lawyers can help you. If you choose our law firm to handle your case, we can represent you on a contingent fee basis. We can also work for you on retainer. For more information, call us at 800-231-3657 or send us an email.